IntenselyFocused

Intensely Focused

I'm not obsessed, I'm just intensely focued.

Home Improvement: Undead Edition
Charlaine Harris, Toni L.P. Kelner
Sherlock Holmes: The Complete Novels and Stories, Volume I
Arthur Conan Doyle
Ready Player One - Ernest Cline

I really enjoyed this book but I'm not sure how much it would appeal to people who didn't grow up in the 80s and 90s and aren't into gamer/geek culture.

I loved the idea of Cory Doctorow and Wil Wheaton as the people leading the VR world.

The idea of the VR world was pretty cool but I wish that there had been more on the state of the real world. There's enough to know it's bad but in a sort of general way. (And if energy is a huge problem how are people powering their OASIS machines anyway?)

Without more information it just makes the idea of feeding everyone a little silly. I know it wasn't the point of the book but still. So you have $250 billion. Awesome. So what? If there's not enough arable land left on earth that doesn't really matter. So you can buy a bunch of food, what about delivery? What about places without roads? Are you going to do air drops?

Feeding the hungry is a worthy goal (obviously) but it seems like major structural reforms are needed worldwide.

Wade doesn't vote in the real government elections because he doesn't see the point. If the government has failed and few people want to deal with reality that problem needs to be addressed or reality is never going to improve.

I sort of felt like Cline needed to decide if it was going to be a book about the quest or fixing things but to suggest that you can just buy a quick fix does a disservice.

I did really enjoy all the game references though and of course all the stuff in OASIS (minus the people who would be your new corporate overlords) sounds pretty cool.