IntenselyFocused

Intensely Focused

I'm not obsessed, I'm just intensely focued.

Home Improvement: Undead Edition
Charlaine Harris, Toni L.P. Kelner
Sherlock Holmes: The Complete Novels and Stories, Volume I
Arthur Conan Doyle
SPOILER ALERT!
Dream Warrior - Sherrilyn Kenyon

Every great once in a while I read a paranormal romance novel and it usually doesn't take me long to remember why I tend not to like them. There's the requisite strong, silent, and violently angry male who can only be tamed by the pure sunshine and rainbows virgin. They feel something for each other the first time they see each other and of course they fall in love. It has nothing to do with personalities or common interests it's just love at first sight which frankly, isn't all that interesting to me. I'd rather the characters fall for each other gradually, not have all these feelings they don't understand where naturally they're both very protective of the other, even if they have absolutely no reason to trust each other. It just feels very superficial and fake.

The premise was interesting though. Cratus was Zeus' right hand enforcer. He never questioned why he was supposed to kill people, he just did as told. Until, of course, he randomly spares a baby, who, of course, turns out to be the woman he falls in love with.

I like the idea of the war between the gods, and I think it was interesting that there were other gods from other pantheons that were at least mentioned (although there was no real discussion of the Greek vs Roman gods, it's just the Greek gods that exist in this universe). But while I believe there was a prophecy that Zeus would be overthrown by one of his children, I don't think it was one of the sleep goddesses that was supposed to do it.

If you're interested in a new way of looking at the Greek gods, I'd highly recommend Kelly McCullough's series. There is romance, but it's definitely not the focus of the story. It's science-fiction rather than paranormal romance. He made me see some of the classic Greek myths in a new way.