IntenselyFocused

Intensely Focused

I'm not obsessed, I'm just intensely focued.

Home Improvement: Undead Edition
Charlaine Harris, Toni L.P. Kelner
Sherlock Holmes: The Complete Novels and Stories, Volume I
Arthur Conan Doyle
Luck in the Shadows - Lynn Flewelling When I first read this book in college I put it in the "so bad it's good" catagory, as did many of my friends. After rereading it, I'm not sure why I felt that way. While it's certainly not timeless prose (nor was it meant to be) I don't think it's bad either. Sure, there were a few sentences here and there that could have been better, but nothing drastic.

I admit there was an awful lot of info dumping going on, which was probably necessary but it did get old after a while. I found myself skimming a lot of the who's who sections which is probably only because I'd read it before and was more interested in the interaction between the characters than the intrigue.

Seregil, Alec, and Micum are still delightful to read about. I liked the street of lights and Flewelling's gentle (if not subtle) hints that yes, there may be same sex relationships later in the book or the series.

Seregil strikes me as very much a guy. He makes plans and decisions and is completely blindsided when Alec is miserable.

Still, I like Alec's nativity and wide-eyed wonder at Rhiminee. I also like how Seregil set up Alec's first Rhiminee Cat job. I'd forgotten about Seregil's actual cat, who is quite adorable.

I like the little glimpses of how lonely Seregil really is, it sets up the next book nicely.